Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Backpack, Khakis, and Beard

Well, it's been a couple of lovely packed days. There have been some exciting developments which I will touch upon later. I figure for the time being, I will simply tackle each topic or observation one at a time. Sound good?

The Life of the Backpacker 


       Allow me to explain how much I love this life. I wear khakis shorts about 99% of the time. I am constantly in thongs (that's why Canadians, I literally call flip flops thongs now). I usually have a homemade t-shirt on. I have not shaven in nearly 3 weeks, with no signs of using the shaver packed in my bag. I have used a headband, that a dear friend and Japanese Chef, Shinichi, gave me before I left Brisbane. It is such a comfortable lifestyle. I love the idea of carrying your belongings around with you. It represents 2 things to me: self-sustainability and a more old fashioned way of living. I have never required much privacy, so the hostel lifestyle is ideal. To quote an aussie friend, "too easy."


A Surprising Turn of Events


       I'm not going to lie. Australia changed the way my body operates. My parents will tell you, ordinarily I am an early bird. I usually worked early in the morning, really enjoyed relaxing in the afternoon, and got to bed during the week around 11:30 PM. In Australia, working two jobs I was usually sleeping 6 hours on average. Late Nights (2-4 AM). Lots of Caffeine. I was transformed into a night owl overnight. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret a second of it; its just my body was unprepared for such a rapid change of lifestyle.

       So far in SE Asia, I have next to no alcohol. I am reading like a madman. I am walking everywhere. I am going to sleep early, waking up early, enjoying and afternoon nap, you get the picture. What I am saying is, in Australia it's like I thought I was in SE Asia, whereas the opposite is true here. I'm really enjoying it.

Theft

       This is very strange to me. As I have already alluded to, Singapore is an incredibly orderly society. There is no rubbish anywhere, people follow the rules, yet there are signs everywhere saying "DO NOT LEAVE ANYTHING UNATTENDED, NO MATTER WHAT." On the subway, in the shopping malls, even on the streets. Why is this odd? Well, I felt afraid when I arrived, that I had to have my bag on me at all times. Even in an internet cafe, I would awkwardly carry my backpack to the washroom, even as the owner insisted it was ok. I have slowly become more lenient; there is a web cafe right underneath my hostel, and I am there best customer.

        The other day, I forgot my camera in a hostel lobby when I was asking for directions. I came back 3 hours later, tracing back my steps. There it was right where I left it. Good ol' Singapore. Today, I saw a sight that little seemed a little embarrassing. My favourite place in Singapore is Little India. As I am walking through a bustling neighbourhood, there is a tour group passing through. Maybe 25 people, I would say North American based on their weight, all wearing ridiculous matching yellow t-shirts. They descended from the door of their giant tour bus, into what I'm sure they were told was the "heart of Little India." They all proceeded to swing their bags around, and march single file down the street, with their backpacks on their chests. I know it is wise to be cautious, but it was halfway between hilarious and direspectful.

Tourists

          I think the funniest thing is watching the lone tourist walking down the crowded commercial streets of Orchard Road, with his $1000 handycam in tote. Anything he finds mildly interesting, he stops for about 2 seconds, raises his right arm, presses PLAY. Then he walks forward for maybe thirty more seconds, and repeats the ridiculous process. I mean, I am all for documentation of a trip. You should be trying to preserve these memories. But seriously, using a camera I could never afford, to film a bus stop?

Ice Cream Sandwiches

           Now this is something, I FILMED! Ice cream sandwiches are actually sandwiches here. The vendors have loaves of sugary, pink and green bread, and they slice a block of ice-cream with a huge knife, and slide it between two pieces of bread. How wild is that?

Next Stop: Borneo

       On the advice of the wonderful, enthuastic, Taylor Livingston, I purchased a 57 dollar round trip ticket to Borneo. I will arrive in Kuching, where I am in for a very pleasant surprise. Not only is it the birthplace of my dear friend "Chooksie," the Alexander family raised their kids in the area. I am incredibly excited for this unique opportunity.

That's about all I can think about for now. I feel like I am just typing words at this point. I hope everyone is lovely back home. It's always good to talk with mom and dad on Skype. I encourage Sasha and Milan to give me a go as well, I'm getting pretty dynamite.

4 comments:

  1. Good to hear that you are as unobtrusive as possible in your travel. It sounds like you have found your pace and are noticing interesting things in new cultures. I think that Borneo will be amazing. Did you get your shots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading your singular observations. Your journey sounds quite interesting and attractive.

    Consider also staying with a family in South East Asia if you have the opportunity. Another place I tended to like to visit was schools. One of the challenges was acceptance by the administration of the schools. But I was able to visit a school and a classroom, that has been among the highlights of my travels to different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading your singular observations. Your journey sounds quite interesting and attractive.

    Consider also staying with a family in South East Asia if you have the opportunity. Another place I tended to like to visit was schools. One of the challenges was acceptance by the administration of the schools. But I was able to visit a school and a classroom, that has been among the highlights of my travels to different cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the last two Anonymous comments (repeated ones) were from Oleh.

    ReplyDelete