Friday, August 5, 2011

The Look

           Leading into my last day in Singapore, I have to mention one thing I find very interesting about backpackers/foreigners in this town. Wherever I go in this city, my eyes are always wondering around. There are so many things to see, so many people to watch. That has always been one of my favourite aspects of travelling; wondering around without a plan, and seeing what happens.
        
          As I left my hostel for a moment this evening, I experienced an unexpected surprise. There is a woman who works the front desk of our hostel on Dunlop Street, named "Lady." She is originally from the Phillipines, and has moved to Singapore to work and live. She saw me walking down the road (she was on her way to work) and she asked if I wanted a treat, courtesy of her. It was a wonderful gesture, and I happily accepted. She took to a place called the "Bean Curd Factory" where we tried all-things-soy. It was refreshing and healthy I'm told, but the highlight was hearing Lady talk about her life and her family.

          Amazingly her family has a tradition, where the oldest sibling leaves the home when they are old enough, to work and save money. Want to know what they do with that money? They give it to the younger sibling for their school fees. How amazing is that? So one of your responsibilities in the family, and to have a positive influence on your younger siblings, you work so they can go to school. As she is a middle child, her older sibling did the same for her. I was so impressed; Lady is absolutely wonderful, and has been a reassuring late night presence when I return to my hostel.

The Look: In-depth Analysis

          Following this wonderful little snack, I saw 4 or 5 foreigners approaching. And as always there was a quick look, followed by intentional glance away and beyond. What I mean by this is, backpackers appear to dismiss and ignore the presence of other backpackers. Firstly, the initial look, when eye contact is made is mildly frightening. Sure, there is an element of pride at stake here; "I looked at you first. Move on chum."
 Then there is the uncertainty---should I nod, should I smile, should I say hello? NONE OF THE ABOVE. The stare is unlocked, and life goes on.

         I think this happens for the following reasons: Us backpackers are trying to remove ourselves from our usual lives. We have specifically chosen these regions of the city (Chinatown, Arab Street, Little India) with this goal in mind. Seeing someone exactly like yourself, also encroaching on another way of life, you feel a little bit of shame. You are no better, and no worse than that person. You are the same. They also had the same plan as you, a crying shame! The last thing the world you want to do is say Hello to this person. Why? Because in a giant multi-cultural city like Singapore, with a population that has unique and wonderful stories to tell, here I am sharing my travel itinerary with someone just like me.

       I'm no pessimist, and yes, I have met some very interesting people on my trip. But the "original look" is what I am explaining here. When we are in a hostel it is different. It's like the calm before the storm---the breath before the plunge. In here, we prepare for battle; once we hit the streets, its game time.

        What is even stranger, is the fact that local Singaporeans have been incredibly warm, hospitable, and embraced my presence. "Where are you from?" asks the Chinese cook at the "Number #1 Best Home Made Noodle Shop" in Chinatown. "Hey Canadian. Why no Samosa today?!Come here and read your book Canadian!" yell the always persistent gentleman at my favourite Indian restaurant. These wonderful people are going out of their way to welcome us, whereas the very sight of another foreign draws us to our maps, iPods, or nothing at all.

A person I know from Kuching told me this:  

When I was younger, I didn't have a laptop, iPod, Blackberry, iPhones, PSP, Nintendo, iPad. I played outside with friends, bruised my knees, made up stories and played hide and seek. I ate what my mom made. I would think twice before I said "no" to my parents. Life wasn't hard, it was good & I survived. I appreciated the way I was raised. I think we were happier kids."

Something to think about.
 

7 comments:

  1. The tradition among the Phillipino community abroad to support their families at hoe is amazing and heart-warming. That is very much the case with Phillipino immigrants to Canada. They work hard and live very modestly in order to send money to fammiy back home. Your Lady is such an example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wikepedia reports that there are 8.6 to 11 million Phllipinos abroad, 11% of the population. Regarding remittances Wikipedia states "Remittances sent by OFWs to the Philippines contribute to the country's economy, with a value of more than US$10 billion in 2005.[7] This makes the country the fourth largest recipient of remittances with India, China, and Mexico in the top list. OFW remittances represent 13.5% of the country's GDP, the largest in proportion to the domestic economy among the four countries.
    In 2008, overseas Filipinos sent US$15.9 billion worth of remittances to the Philippines, up from the US$14.4 billion in 2007, and US$13 billion in 2006.
    In 2009, about US$17.348 billion in remittances was sent to the Philippines by overseas Filipinos, higher than in previous years."

    These are astonishing figures and reflect amazing support and culture of helping one's family.

    The Phillipinos I have seen generally do this selflessly and at considerable sacrifice to themselves financially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The story of Lady is very special. At NSMS there were many young Phillipinas who lived 4 to a room and saved 90% of their earnings to send home without any sense of regret or hardship. Lady's kindness to you was very sweet; please thanks her for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an alternative theory. The backpacker simply does not find other backpackers as the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a dream…
    a dream that someday our country is rich and developed
    no filipinos are jobless & the government has paid all of our debts
    a dream that someday there’ll be no filipinos are slave in other country
    ‘coz our wages & salaries are well enough to feed the family

    i have a dream…
    a dream that someday we can give aid to developing country
    unlike today that we beg for any aid and donations from countries we considered deity
    a dream that someday we have the luxury to go to countries in europe
    not being a worker but a tourists who enjoy the life’s beauty

    i have a dream…
    a dream that someday that filipinos are admire by the western country
    not only in entertainment but also in the field of science, medicine & technology
    a dream that someday there’ll be no rallies against the government
    ‘coz our leaders are responsible and we have constant economic growth


    ..but since its still a dream Il just accomplish as much as I could in reality and consider every people,places and situation a blessing because of the wisdom I learned from them..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The comments/ poem of Anonymous above illustrate how fortunate we are in Canada. That is not to say that in Canada, there are no jobless or people with debt. However, the other wishes identified are generally present.

    I look forward to reading your observations as you go through other countries concerning the social conditions that you experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I share your dream and hope that it will one day be a reality. Canada and the world certainly gain much from the bright people that come here from all around the globe. By traveling, you Mica will see all the work that needs to be done to bring more fairness to the people on our planet.

    ReplyDelete