Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sleepless in Singapore

     Admittedly, tonight has been a little difficult. I believe the independent aspect of this trip, notably traveling by myself, has been a good decision. Brisbane represents the very best of this decision; I arrived by myself, and 7 months later I feel like I have left a family behind. I miss them every day.

     So clearly, it is an approach that can be successful. But the more I dissect the experience, I understand why it was such a smooth transition. I was working 50+ hours a week with many people in the same situation. This incredible group leaned on each other, and whether we knew it or not, the BBC represented most of my social life.

     When you are traveling, you have no set schedule. Meeting people is not a given. You must go out of your way. Which is especially interesting here in Singapore. I will walk around this wondrous city, utterly taken aback by all it has to offer. It seems that spell is ruined when I see another tourist; perhaps part of me is thinking "Go Away! I don't want to break this illusion."

     After a lively day, this has been a lonely night. I think I have just realized I wish I could be sharing this with someone. I can think of so many people I want to be here right now. I'd love to explore all these multi-cultural neighbours with my mother, or sing in the streets with my dad. I'd love to stroll through these streets with my brothers, Sasha and Milan.

       Cribbage with Hefe, tea with Grant, a film with Sam. Honestly, the list is long. I figure it only indicates my excitement to come home after this trip. I will be fine, I just wish at the end of this Southeast Asia trip, I wish I could turn to someone and say "We will never forget this trip."

But I won't have that. And that is something I have realized.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for those candid observations. My invitation to explore Korea together still stands. I would love to be with you. In any case, every type of adventure teaches us many things and you will be wiser for it. My thoughts are with you always. Sasha is home now and it is a true joy to have him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through your blog, I feel I am sharing this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete