Monday, August 29, 2011

M.I.A.

Well folks, I apologize, it has essentially been 3 weeks since I last wrote. I have been M.I.A. I have been filming a lot, meeting all kinds of folks, and have two memory cards full of photos. At the end of this trip, I plan to compile some kind of movie; however, this time I have failed to establish a general plan or style for the film, so it may be scattered. Just like this blog entry in fact. So last I checked, I wrote was in Kuching, so it is certainly time to move on. Our next scenic location is:

MALACCA, MALAYSIA
The Streets of Malacca
When I descended from the bus in the Malacca Bus Station I was initially weary. Everywhere I saw tourists; I had presumed by ignoring Kuala Lumpur (huge cities are generally avoidable for me) I was taking the less obvious path. Interestingly enough, there appeared to be very, very, few Western tourists. It became quickly evident that Malacca was very much an Asian tourist destination. Each and every bus unloaded loads and loads of travelers of Asian descent. Even in the wonderful hostel I found, most of the guests appeared to be of Asian descent. Considering my original plan was be in Malacca for two days (it eventually became four days) I was pleasantly surprised by the city.


OBSERVATIONS:

- Although I mentioned tourists, by comparison to other cities I have visited, this was on the lower end of that scale

- The Hostel was absolutely lovely. I felt bad for the owner of the hostel, because he said despite his best efforts, he was having trouble getting the hostel advertised in travel guides. Apparently, "once you are in, you are IN." As a result, one of the owners would go every day to the bus station, and try and convince people to stay. Turns out, it worked with me.
I think I found the entrance to the Secret Garden
- The city is small enough, that everything was within walking distance. In the middle of the city, was a fantastic green hill. It was actually a Chinese cemetery, so as you climbed higher and higher, the gravestones became more elaborate. Strangely enough, one the most peaceful spots I have enjoyed thus far, was a cemetery.
- People who know me, understand that I dislike shopping. I dislike it even more when it is completely catered  for Westerners. However, in Malacca, aside from the main touristy centre, the city seemed to understand exactly what it was.



          I truly recommend Malacca to anyone traveling up the western coast of peninsular Malaysia. It has plenty of nice little surprises, and of all things, seems like a city content with its own way of life. I felt like I was really exploring something a little less visited. And then of course, pool, breakfast, drinks in the hostel were a lovely touch. I was so inspired, I even made a birthday video for a friend of mine in my hostel room. Check it out.

1 comment:

  1. Malacca sounds very cool. I also checked out some of your videos. Was the coffee to go given to you in a plastic bag hot or cold? If it was hot, how did you manage to hold it.

    ReplyDelete