Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Goodbye Singapore, Hello Kuching


Hello Everyone back in Vancouver, hope the summer is treating you well.

           My time in Singapore came to an end, and here are my parting thoughts of the city:

Flags, Flags, Everywhere!
1) Of all things, I cannot overstate that Singapore is a gateway city, and not a final destination. The only way, in my opinion, to avoid this feeling is to either work or study there. That said, it's a small island nation, that doesn't enjoy the community aspect that is associated with small island nations.
I counted thousands of flags.

2) Without a doubt, the highlight for me was the proximity of such diverse backgrounds and ethnic groups, in little pockets through the downtown area. They were natural and authentic, and not something simply put together by the tourism board. I also really appreciated the harmony of these groups, and the general pride the people have for Singapore itself. In one apartment block just outside of the city, I have not seen such a display of national pride in a long time. I even took some video of it, and will show that later.

Without question, I was excited to leave Singapore for the jungle. Kuching, while being the 4th largest city in Malaysia, is still relatively small. There is a compact downtown area, and the rest of the population is very spread out. I have very much enjoyed my 4 days here so far, and am excited about my remaining 6 days.

Here are a few photos and a bit of analysis to accompany them:

I will forever love being in a forest.

In the Jungle, The Mighty Jungle
  
       Firstly, I must say, that during the day, Kuching is the hottest place I have ever been to. The humidity is insane, and the only comfort can be found underneath the canopy of the jungle. We have been hiking a few times, which is what I am really after here. I have been missing the hills of my hometown, and the hikes with my father.

This was one lively Orangutan.
          We went to an Orangutan Sanctuary, and I will admit, this little journey had tourist trap written all over it. But thankfully, costing only 10 RM (just under $3) it is a chance worth taking. Watching the Orangutans play and eat was fun, but I still think I will never really like zoos or sanctuaries. The only one I appreciated was the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary in Brisbane; because they were simply taking care of injured animals that would have died in the wild anyway. Even though this park claimed to be training these Orangutans for the wild, how can man-made ropes and buckets of food be considered a natural environment? Maybe
my attitude has become more intense after seeing the brilliant documentary, "The Cove."

The Tracks Bed and Breakfast



Tracks Bed and Breakfast (Kuching, Borneo)

          Well all I can say here is, thank goodness for Taylor Livingston. He has been my little travel guide from afar, and he continues to lead me in the right direction. Not only is Kuching, Borneo exactly what I was looking for, but the accommodation is second to none. The Tracks Bed and Breakfast is out of this world. And at $4.75 a night, it isn't bad on the wallet either. The staff is really friendly and approachable and always willing to hang out and teach you about the local community.

Well, that is about all for now. Tomorrow we are heading to the Bako National Park. It should be an absolute dandy.




3 comments:

  1. Do you think that the lack of a community aspect of a small island state in Singapore (your point # 1) is attributable to your second observation - the diversity of the population. That is that diversity of population can translate into lack of sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More information relating to the first comment. The entry on Singapore in Wikipedia states "Some 5 million people live in Singapore, of whom 2.91 million were born locally. Most are of Chinese, Malay or Indian descent. There are four official languages: English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil." 40% of the population are foreigners , the sixth highest percentage of any country in the world. This could also help explain the lack of sense of community.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice photos; the orangutans look so beautiful. Hope you are enjoying jungle hiking and that it is not too hot and humid. I hope that your next stop will be just as interesting. Hope that you are feeling great.

    ReplyDelete