Saturday, January 8, 2011

Wrong Country



It has been a lovely 3 days thus far in Sydney. I have found it impossible to start reading my book (starting with "The Odyssey" via Sam Sackeroff), which was meant to be a new years resolution of mine. I guess when things normalize themselves in Brisbane it will become an easier goal to achieve. Sydney has been a whirlwind of introductions, crazy nights, and lovely afternoons of exploration. I've got to say, (barring Europe) I think the beach side communities of Sydney have got to be the most romantic locales I've seen in my life. Outstanding.

I continue to post my favourite photos so far on Facebook, and I like the idea of this page being my little spot for thoughts and observations. In terms of Sydney as a city, it is an incredible place to visit. To live here would be a dream, but it is indeed costly. I always have to remember, that although the cost of living here is about twice as high, the people here get paid about twice as much. However, as a visitor who is currently not-yet-working, it is a daunting locale. Essentially, without the free accommodation that makes this visit possible, a full time job is entirely necessary to live in this city.

Remember that economic study we learned about called the "Big Mac Index?" Essentially, it compares the price of a universal object worldwide, like a Big Mac. What I have been doing has been the California Roll Index. I'd say the average cost of California Rolls in Vancouver is about $2.50. In Australia, I have averaged them at $7.75! If you want to start a Sushi restaurant, come here! You will make a killing.

Tonight, I am heading to a cricket match with my cousins Ksenia and Ivanka. It's going to be oodles of fun. We are going to dress for the part, and lather ourselves constantly with sunscreen. So far, my feet have been victimized. Sunburnt, and covered in blistered from my cheap set of "thongs" they are swearing at me every step of the way. Wearing tennis shoes feels like a day at the spa.

Photos and video will be posted soon. In terms of a few shout outs, I hope all the friends (or at least, those that remain) in North Vancouver are doing well. Want to thank all the people that wrote cards for my trip once again, some truly lovely things said. Hope Scotty is rocking out on the boat once more (see you in Brisbane) and I hope Sasha is keeping life interesting for Mom and Dad.

Mom and Dad, thanks so much. Take care everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment