Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sweet Caroline (Karaoke Version)



Hello Everyone!

It has been a few days, and for that I apologize. However, there is a lot to update you fine folks on. So I figure the best way to do it is to simply list these happenings:

1) I am now employed. I will be a sales representative for an electricity company called Integral. I get to work out of an office in a cool part of town, known as Fortitude Valley. What I liked most about the company was the sense of community they are attempting to create. And for the sake of a 'backpacker' like myself, this is most welcome.

2) Seeing Chooksie was a dream come true. What an amazing woman! We haven't skipped a beat, and I feel so lucky to have met her in the first place. She has a way about her that makes anyone she meets want to know her more. Even at the pub we attended last night, captains and first officers for Emirates airlines were telling me how much they will miss having Chooksie on their flight crew. And I 100% believed them too. We all sincerely love Chooksie, and to see her again has been a revelation.

3) My relationship with Chooksie has had another positive impact. Namely her wonderful group of friends, that have been taking care of me since I arrived in Brisbane. I have shared wonderful nights with them so far, and that is really going to become a common trend.

4) The natural beauty of Brisbane is refreshing. In North Vancouver, I was always in awe of the mountains and the trees. Well Brisbane, predictably has impressed other natural wonders upon me. Firstly, the lush tropical wildlife and flora is surprising me all the time. There are geckos everywhere, giant elaborate spider webs, and even the odd wild turkey. Also, there is a giant toad here called the "cane toad" that was initially brought in as pest removal, namely to remove bugs from the cane itself. Then the cane toad started to eat the cane itself, and is now seen as a tubby, loud, pest of a creature. There are so despised, that gangs of kids are encouraged to walk around with cricket bats, and smash them high into the sky. I will try and get a photo of a big ugly one.

5) Cricket! I really like it. The sports stadium flooded in Brisbane, so there hasn't been any rugby or Aussie Rules Football yet. But I must say, I'm beginning to like this sport. How can you not like a sport where the breaks are literally called 'lunch time' and 'tea time?'

6) The general rule of thumb I have had with Australia is that, things here are twice as expensive (for the most part) but the people get paid twice as much. This is all fine and dandy if you live and work here, but it certainly makes Australia a tough place to travel without work. Unless you are only here for a short while, it appears the work holiday is the place to go.

7) I'm learning slowly and surely how to use Skype. Adding more and more people, so if you feel like adding me my Skype ID is "micaisabroad." Let's catch up soon.

I figure thats about all I can think of right now. I want to say to hello to Sasha, Milan, Mom and Dad. I hope you are all doing well. Sasha, are you getting excited for Australia? Milan, I want to talk to you about the energy company I will be working for. Dad, I wouldn't mind climbing the grind with you in the cold crisp, much-less-humid Vancouver air. And Mom, I hope your friends and work are bringing you a lot of joy.

To the friends, all I can say, is that a surprise is on the way. Lastly, hope Mr. Torres and the History 12 kids are enjoy a good balance, of productivity and grad excitement.

If anyone has any questions, that perhaps I havent answered well, don't hesitate to ask. Toodle loo.

3 comments:

  1. This performance reminds me of that infamous night on the Yangtze. Congratulations on your job and hope it will be a good place to work. Greetings from Ray in the Village. Keep on singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update and all the good news.

    I was wondering if you can comment further on the impact that the floods have had on the sense of community in Brisbane. I remember reading how Winnipeg gathered together to fight off Red River flood a few years ago. I imagine that it would bring a community together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked out Fortitude Valley which is described as "After 20 years of growth and redevelopment ‘the Valley’, as we know it today, is full of an energy and individualism"- sounds like an exciting place to be and where your energy and individualism will shine.

    ReplyDelete