Saturday, July 30, 2011

Singapore (Day 2): Busy Day

There are signs everywhere in Singapore like this.
 It's been a busy day. It will continue to be. I have 30 minutes, therefore I am simply going to post a few photos, and comment about them. Hope they serve their purpose.

Photo #1: Homemade "Fine Signs"

Remember how I said there was a general mentality that one should clean up after themselves. Now I'm not 100% certain how enforced these laws are, but even in internet cafes owners put up these homemade signs. The hope is to prevent bad business if the police show up. My only question is, we have similar signs in Vancouver. Do not vandalize this bus. Do not let your dog poop in this park. Why do we still litter in Vancouver? Honestly, in a city three times more crowded like Singapore, I still find it fascinatingly clean. There are more people, and certainly more waste. Interesting stuff.

Little India. Glorious, glorious Little India.
Photo #2: Little India

What an absolutely fantastic place. I walked around with my video camera just to experience to vibrancy and energy of the area. It seemed like every business was run by a family, and supposedly they lived in the place above the business. Little India brings me back to similar feeling I felt walking through the beautiful streets of Lhasa, Tibet. I think my mother would absolutely adore this portion of the city. The variety in the neighbourhoods here, just spectacular. I will surely enjoy Chinatown tomorrow.
Literally the dirtiest street I found all day.

Photo #3: Clean, Clean, Clean

As a challenge, I wondered throughout the city, looking for the dirtiest street I could find. I assumed I could find a few ugly back alleys somewhere. This was especially true in China, where their major streets and sidewalks were impeccably clean, however most of the litter was just hidden behind the buildings. Not the case here. I proudly report this as the dirtiest street I found in 4 hours. Note the rusty bicycles, a little bit of aging on some of those buildings.......you get the point.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation about breaking rules and what makes people here feel entitled to trash their own home town. I think I would love little India in Singapore as well the discipline of people to keep such a crowded place so tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it is in the details that you see the differences. The food co-op in Nelson BC, a haven for the counter-culture, has a box of sandals for barefoot to wear as they walk through the store.

    ReplyDelete